Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Ending 2009 - Beginning 2010

“Old things are passed away – all things become new.” Revelation 21:4b-5a

That can apply to many things. And all things seen can be a negative or a positive, depending on the situation. Examples: Giving dad a tie he will never wear versus giving him a new pair of work gloves he needs and will truly appreciate. Giving a young boy a toy car when he is really into software… or a girl who feels she has outgrown dolls (it happens!) and really wants a friendship ring that really isn’t all that expensive. Will they say thank you? Yes. Will they feel disheartened? Yes.
How about mom… Maybe she does not get anything. Will she say it doesn’t matter as long as my family gets something? Will she feel saddened inside? Of course!

I have decided that giving is beautiful but let’s do it not only with a caring heart (which you do) but also with wisdom. The wise men came and gave not in abundance and not cheap, but gave only a few gifts and those were needed. Perhaps they used the gifts to exist on as they had to start a new life in a new country. I am not saying you should give what can be sold. I am saying we need to give wisely and give that which is most wanted and most needed. “I never got them.” “No one asked me what I wanted.” “One year I never received anything.” So, what I am saying is that Open Door Mission will do anything that it takes: time, caring, and giving. Time in researching what families want, caring enough to take the time, and researching what each family member truly wants.

We will organize a committee to set the rules; a team to research the families, pick and purchase the gifts and deliver them. Is this work? Yes. Is it a constructive and fulfilling way to make the whole family blessed in a joyful way? I truly believe so. Your financial gifts will be needed more than ever. If you are able and desire to be part of making families happy and blessed more than any other Christmas, call me and I will start selecting for 2010.

Yes, we will accept gifts of any kind in 2010. But we will also select a number of families to receive beyond an overpriced gift. I believe love and wisdom should go together and as most of us, I have learned by experience. Contact me for greater detail. And by the way, we have helped some wonderful families in 2009. It was FANTASTIC!

Rev. Thebo

1 comment: